Friday, November 20, 2009

Food waste

As most of you know by now we have virtually no food waste - because we have chickens! In the last few days I have found yet another "Food source" for our chickens. My wife called on her way home the other day and asked me to mash the potatoes she had cooked that day. I found them on the stove, got out the potato masher and was about to dump the water that they were in when I suddenly thought, ahaa, that water looks delicious, well it might to the chickens anyway! They do have to drink and the water that the potatoes were cooked in must have some of the "goodness" from the potatoes - so why not give it to them. I did and they loved it! Since then I give them the water that anything has been cooked in - beans, carrots, whatever, as well as any tea or coffee that didn't get drunk. I always use milk in my coffee or tea, so any leftover drink is welcomed by them. I even gave them some water from a couple of fish that I poached, they "voiced" their approval - by drinking it all down in about 3 minutes flat!

Waste not want not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some comments! Go on, I dare you! Talk to me!
Please leave your name, so I know who you are.
David.