Tuesday, January 24, 2012

It was a gray, gray day!

Monday dawned GREY, or is it Gray? Who knows. But it sure was Grey, or Gray, here. Actually I think it was Gray, for some reason or other Gray sounds more like the way the day looked.

As I struggled up in bed and looked out of the window at The Lake, it was a Gray, Gray day that met my eyes. A thick fog or mist covered everything. The far side of The Lake was completely out of sight.

Later that day, it lasted all day long, Julia and I discussed whether it was a fog or just some mist. I talked about how I could remember, in England, driving along with my door open to enable me to see the curb! It was actually IMPOSSIBLE to see more than a few feet. There could have been a car 2 feet in front of me and I would not have been able to see it. The car's hood (bonnet in England) was about 6 to 8 feet long. (My car was a 1933 Singer Le Mans sports car.) Now THAT was fog! In London they talked about "Pea Soupers", the air was so thick in those fogs that if you held your hand stretched out in front of you you could not see it. "You could not see your hand in front of your face." was the saying. Both Julia and I experienced it. It was scary to say the least.

This was just a mist. Driving across the Bay bridge we could see halfway across the bridge.

Anyway, the mist was very thick on The Lake and we could hear fog horns on The Bay.

The next day was very clear and much warmer. The temperature went from the upper 20's and low 30's up to the mid 50's. There were a lot of Canada Geese on The Lake and also on our lawn and the neighbors lawn. Here we are in late January and have yet to have a cold spell of more than a couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some comments! Go on, I dare you! Talk to me!
Please leave your name, so I know who you are.
David.