Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Lake.

The Lake has been frozen over for more than a week now, so I was surprised this morning, when I went out to open the chickens, to find that it was "warm", 51 degrees! It has been barely above freezing and as low as the low 20's at night.
The warm temperature produced the unusual sight for winter, of a heavy mist, almost a fog rising from The Lake, extending for maybe 10 to 15 feet high.
I stood on the deck after letting the chickens out, and surveyed the beautiful view. As I watched the fog rising lazily I heard the familiar sound of wings. A flight of about 20 Canada Geese came in low above my pier, headed for my neighbors wide expanse of lawn. One of the birds dropped into The Lake right next to the pier, the others continued on towards their morning meal of grass on the neighbors lawn. I could not see why one of their number had landed apart from the others - a very unusual happening, they always stay close together. However I did not get the chance to see why, as he/she disappeared behind some bushes and as I was in slippers I was not about to cross the wet grass to find out.
The rain was light. A Great Blue Heron honked loudly as it skimmed slowly across the surface of The Lake with its huge wings almost touching the water. It also landed next to the pier but on the other side. It was then that I realised the ice had melted all along the side of The Lake. For days now I had watched the Geese, Herons and Seagulls standing on the ice, and wondered what they ate when the water was not accessible to them. Now the Herons were able to stand in the water again to fish. The Geese could eat their weed and the Seagulls could dive for their food. All was good again in the World of The Lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some comments! Go on, I dare you! Talk to me!
Please leave your name, so I know who you are.
David.